Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Animal Collective- Winters Love (live circa 2009)


quick personal animal collective recap: I first started to hear about this band after freshman year of college. It truly was from my friend Mark Quines, contributor to this blog, who had an advance copy of Strawberry Jam (2007). I return to santa cruz at at the first time I see my good friend Josh at his then new house, RIP 504 Palm Street, and he was discussing how his whole house had taken a field trip to see them just a week or two before. Josh was so down, and I was curious cause I just kept hearing about them, yet I had heard noithing. Next week, he slams me a CDR with Sung Tongs, Feels, and Strawberry Jam. Im short, it wasnt love at first listen at all, but i quickly grew attached to Banshee Beat, Leaf House, and Fireworks. Fast forward to my interesting psycaledic trip, and it was the NPR live bootleg that helped calm my soul. I cant tell you how important this band is to listen to on a bootleg. I oftentimes find myself listening not to the albums, but to the bootlegs, so they truly have a special place in my heart.

Live Situation: So i had tickets to see this band in LA, and then one of the guys got sick, so after driving down on a friday, the show was later postoponed, I couldnt make the postponded show, and I requested a refund 3 minutes to late for ticketmaster. In short, I still want to see them live, and the live shows are important, if not crucial I think, to listening to this band. In the past two years, with the band's main guitarist taking a break, the band has been trying to fill in the Gap with whatever they feel like, welcome Merriweather Post Pavillion. So, for old songs, they have been remaking and reinventing them to play live.

Winters Love: This song is originally from Sung Tongs, yet has been recreated, reworked for the 2009 tour. The bootleg I have is from the Bowery Ballrom performance on 2009/01/21. The only similarity between the original and this one is the 10 second smaple they put from the original. It might be in teh same Key, yet it is sung almost entiretly without lyrics, and with Noah just, seemingly, improvising and letting sweet, beautiful noise emit from his mouth. Its slow, its atmospheric, its relaxing, its chill, it was perfect for my walk up to campus in 60% humidity with a bottle of cold green tea. This song fits best within the encorce, following the encorce break after brothersport, and before Comfy in Nautica. I'd recommend listening to the whole bootleg of course, but at least from brothersport to the end. Noah's vocals drift into the opening, calling, voices of Comfy. For me, Its pretty beautiful.



bootleg: http://www.archive.org/details/acollective2009-01-21.nyctaper.Neumann_KM150.16bit

No comments:

Post a Comment