Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Codeine - Castle (1990)

I apologize for the youtube video. This is all I could find.

Yesterday night, for some reason I decided to youtube "Codeine". The only song that attracted my attention was a song that I knew about a few months ago which they wrote for a 6 x 7" box compilation set called "Endangered Species".

I'm pretty sure this is hard to find, which is why it took me so long to realize this song even existed.

As all Codeine songs, they're hard, but soft yet somewhat noisy and slow hence the genre I feel they pioneered, "slowcore".

It starts off with a couple of riffs that makes you think you're about to listen to a badass upbeat rockin' song, but all of a sudden the crashing drums with a dragging bass and feedback from the guitar comes in and it transforms into a sluggish song. The nasally voice of Stephen Immerwhr comes in with the lyrics.

Lyrics (excerpt):
There's a castle in her heart
The walls go up for miles

There's a tower
You can see everything
But she shows you nothing


Every time I hear this song I think of Beni Bischof's Castle series.

Particularly this picture:


If you listen to the lyrics and look at the photo; it fits perfectly.
So simple.

This castle. No bridges. No windows. No light inside. Just a massive brick building in the middle of nowhere.

It leaves you empty.



"But she shows you nothing".

1 comment:

  1. i love the entranceless castles in that photo series. really creepy.

    ReplyDelete