Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"New Animals From The Air"-Eluvium

what can I say, inspiration always comes when I am at a computer lab trying to get homework done with my mp3 player on.

The opening track to his album is like the gong they hit at the begining of mediation sessions for me. It takes me in, it sits me down, it makes me close my eyes, it makes me take deep breaths, it makes me relax. Its a slow yet decisive song that is soft on the ears, heavy on the loops and layers, yet is as warm as a blanket for me. I often go to sleep to this song. I often put this song on before I start a paper. I put this song on when I need to relax. I put this song on a lot.

To be honest, it might seem like this song is one long loop, repeated for almost 11 minutes. And I know its pretty close to that. But I think that this song is not about trying to make a catchy loop, a good chorus, or even to be ground breaking. This song for me, is trying to get at your emotions. Its trying to still you, its trying to move you, its trying to change you. Its beckoning you to dive into this beautiful, foggy album. I think the record jacket speaks for itself, and this song.

Now I must admit, that this might be a hard one to grasp during the summer, when the sun is out, and people are showing off their skin. This is the kind of song that I listen to when I need to get something done. This is teh type of song you listen to when, like the record jacket, you are wandering throught he fog. When I need to relax, when I need to work, when I need to sleep. If you find yourself, awake at 3 am, and you need to sleep, try it. Its a lullabye. When you need to work, and you need to focus, this is your adderall.

mp3 download from record label: http://temporaryresidence.com/mp3s/eluvium_newanimals.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment