Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fishmans-Long Season

Last night, i went to a farwell party put on for me, by my music club I am a part of over here in Japan. My good friend who is in the club who speaks very decent english, gave me this cd as a thank you/goodbye present. As she gave it to me, she mentioned that the members of the band used to go to our college, and were a part of the same circle we were all in. I also recieved another cd by a more current group that had recently graduated.

Anyways, this cd is excellent from the first listen. even though I hate it I will go for it: if Can made a band Air, had a japanese girl singer at times, and were super mellow and driving. Its a stretch I know, and rather pointless, but go for that idea, maybe. This mini-lp, as its called, is one 35.2 minute track split up into five parts, but never truly stops. Its got great mellow but moving basslines, upbeat up simple drumming, athmospheric singing at times, sweepingly simple accordians, and tactfull guitars. There are also some bells and pianos in there. and some quiet spoken words. The layers pile up at times, but its great. A guitar part that is minmally used in part one is brought to the front more, in part 5, and a little in almost every part actually. besides that, its a fun ride. long delays on the vocals, and lost of echo on everything. this album will fill the entire room. its got that warm feeling to it.


i'd recommend listening to it at night in the car. or on the cpu while working or surfing the inetrnet. but then again, thats how I listen to all of my music, so who knows when you will like it best. I feel as if the album could be twice as long and just as interesting, but thats just me. I love the cover of the album, and that they dont look so serious, and that they are in the woods.

music love from a friend in japan. please enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wdj30mynemw

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to hunt this down... Maybe Amoeba. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn! found a bunch of Fishmans, but can't find the release you're talking about :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about forgetting to "find" it for you.... but here it is :-) 320 kbps of course

    http://www.mediafire.com/?wdj30mynemw

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought a copy in amazon.com many years ago, but never listen to it more than 2 times. last night i was on a dream-pop binge and decided to give this cd a spin and it was a winderful night spend at the porch, looking into the starts. This album is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete