Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Joni Mitchell

Yes. End of story.



I recently re-discovered Blue (1971), her fourth album, after admittingly not understanding it in high school. Its forte is a classically-grounded melodic and harmonic know-how to put poetry to music. It's even bouncy at times!

So, excited about Joni as I was, I got Court and Spark (1974), her sixth album, and listened to it today. It's too interesting not to mention. Of course I can't make any sort of real judgment after just one listen (especially given an artist of her depth), but I can say for certain that it's a weird kind of musics that sounds smooth, efficient, and meaningful. "Jazz folk-rock," Wikipedia calls it.

I hear she's got other great albums. I'm not surprised. GO BUY SOME. Or pirate them, I don't give a shit. Click on her lovely face to get a list of all her releases (in a new window, or in a new tab if your browser has them).

No comments:

Post a Comment